Thursday, January 31, 2008

US vs them or us vs them?

For a while now I have tried, in vain I realize in hindsight, to compare and contrast the two places that have meant so much to me in terms of sensibilities, and now geography. I have tried and tried, and realized I have been barking up the wrong trees. May be Pluto and Neptune, may be Madagascar and Honolulu. Not the US and India.

The US is as confused as India is, and may be at some level it has come to terms with the dichotomy in the application of its principles and well, living with it. Both the US and India cannot be pinned down, and that really says something.

Q.E.D

I have also realized it is good to take the best of both the cultures, and make it my own. Geography never came in the way when relating to the other sensibilities. People assume a lack of identity. I don't blame them. Sometimes I doubt my belonging. I do not know if I fit in "them" or "us", and that probably explains the title in whose word play otherwise I would have felt a little smug.

No comments: