Thursday, October 15, 2009

Moonlighting

akashe jyotsna

moonlight in the sky


phuler pathe chita baagher gayer karam

on the forest trail the scent of the leopard

hridoy amar horin jano

my heart is like deer

ratrer ei niraboder bhetor, kondike cholechi?

in the silence of this night, which way am I going?

rupali paatar chaya amar shorire

the silvery shadow of leaves on my body


kothao kono horin neyi

no more deer anywhere

aar joto door jaayee, kaashter moton banka chaand

as far as I go I see the moon bent like a sickle

shesh shonale horin, shorsho khete niyeche jano

cutting the last golden deer-grain


taar par dhire dhire dube jaache

then sinking slowly

shata shata mrigedaar choker ghumer andhokaarer bhetor

into the darkness of all the sleep In the eyes of a hundred does

...................................................... ..............Jibonanda Dass


I would like to go to my grave with this.






dedicated to Lakshmi Narayanan









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see the post dedicated to your loved ones