Tuesday, October 04, 2011

organic chemistry

“When I envisioned a rock music score, I didn’t want a copy of western rock. I wanted music that adhered to the principles of rock but originated from our land and from our realities.”

imtiaz ali


“We didn’t have to make four rock songs, a sad song and an item song. Each song carried a different expression. So I kept the sound organic - less synthesizers, less effects, more acoustic guitar and bass. The gypsy song (Hawa hawa) was the most difficult to compose as it had so many layers, styles and instruments woven in.”


“We had to make his character friendly to all kinds of audience and not just rock music aficionados. I didn’t want to tread that spaced-out, dope and booze-filled rock music scene (smiles). I have seen young people acting all rebellious, playing underground metal and trying to be cool (mocks an air guitar and laughs). When I was 11 or 12, I would set up keyboards for some local rock bands. They would go up on stage, going wild on their guitars. I would be like - the plug will get pulled out!”

a r rahman






anand holla . mumbai mirror

No comments: