Monday, October 15, 2007

Envi Sage...

...I couldn't, that one day I would be just a call away from him. I and only I know what I have gone through to get in touch with him. He was my buddy from my fourth standard through the seventh, a period which was truly defined by innocence, and innocence in its rawest form. Not any of the current maturity that weighs us down; those were the days spent in absolute abandon. He left for Calcutta in the summer of '94. We did keep in touch with each other over snail mails. Descriptive , extremely. I would read out his mails to the entire class proudly showing off the recipient's address. I have come across many a dude after that, I agree; in fact people who I hit off very well with. Somewhere my heart craved him, and as I said only I know how desperate I was. I knew he would be doing good for himself somewhere and wholeheartedly I wished him the very best. 13th of June'96 was the last time I spoke to him.

Time flew by. While at my official chores during one of those beautiful GE John.F.Welch TC, Bangalore days of '06, I googled his name. I don't know what struck me then. I still don't. I was throwing a stone in the dark. The first hit I chanced upon threw his webpage. Was it him? I did take a chance though. Plucked out the e-mail ID out of the page and I quote the letter I wrote, almost verbatim.

Hello,

Hi to you if this is the Rishi I knew from K V Picket from Karaikudi. If not, heck, still a hi to you, and you have a wonderful day.

Regards,
T K

Not sure as to whether he would reply I was lost in my quotidian aspects only to be given a jolt the following morning.

Inbox (1) Re: Hello!!!


I can't get myself to describe what transpired after that, it's kind of beyond words.

Now I speak to him often. Tough to believe. Tough because he was the same guy who I tried to get through to, resorting to things crazy. His father was a senior man in the LIC of India, and I wont deny that the thought of knocking at the doors of LIC headquarters did occur to me.

He went to IIT Madras to pursue his BTech and currently is at Purdue for his MS, and a PhD. I have invited him to my wedding and when he shows up in January '08, it will have been full fourteen years.

God bless Rishi.


Today all I know is he is just a call away...

2 comments:

SSK said...

Aw, that's so sweet! I'm so glad your story had a happy ending. =)

It truly is wonderful to suddenly meet a friend you once knew and missed sorely. =)

Anonymous said...

I love such stories.I love you for wanting to get in touch with your friend.

I read this and felt all the feelings i feel/felt whenever i get/got in touch with long lost friends.

:)


:)


:)

Ag.